Search the collections
Similar items over time
Menu - MV Johan van Oldenbarnevelt, Nederland Shipping Line, Lunch, 12 Jan 1955 Reg. No: HT 30253
- Lunch menu used by German migrant Guenter Schneider during his voyage to Australia on the Nederland Line ship MV Johan van Oldenbarnevelt on 12 January 1955.
Guenter and Ann Schneider migrated to Australia from Neustadt, Germany through the Australian/West German Assisted Passage Scheme, travelling on the Dutch Nederland Line ship MV 'Johan van Oldenbarnevelt' from 11 December 1954 until 13 January 1955. Guenter and Ann left Germany due to experiencing economic hardship, and also enticed by good reports from a German friend who had already migrated to Tasmania. They were transported directly from Station Pier to Bonegilla Migrant Reception Centre in northern Victoria. Their first and only child Patrick was born at Albury Hospital soon after they arrived in June 1955. They later relocated to Mount Beauty in north-eastern Victoria where Guenter, a motor mechanic by trade, was employed as a general labourer on the Kiewa Hydro-Electric Scheme, probably in fulfilment of the standard two year government work contract compulsory for assisted migrants. In 1962 they moved to Morwell in the Victorian La Trobe Valley where Guenter was employed as a turbine operator. He was employed there by the State Electricity Commission until his retirement in the 1990s.
- Single cream card menu with a colour illustration of two men bearing goods in top left corner. Entitled 'Menu Luncheon' and lists courses; footer 'm.v Johan van Oldenbarnevelt Wednesday January 12th 1955'.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Patrick Schneider, 2009
|Dimensions:||180 mm (Height), 120 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||german immigration, assisted immigration, shipping lines, shipboard travel|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Transport Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|User:||Mr Guenter Schneider, 12 Jan 1955|
|Ship Named:||N.V. Stoomvaart Maatschappij Nederland, circa 1954|