Search the collections
Entree Card - Mrs Cluny Macpherson, Presbyterian Church of Victoria, Royal Visit, Mar 1958 Reg. No: HT 30672
- Identification badge referred to as an entree card, worn by Mrs Cluny (Jessie) Macpherson, during her attendance at Morning Tea in the St Kilda Town Hall on Monday 3 March 1958, organised as part of the Queen Mother's Royal Visit to recognise women's organisations of Victoria. Mrs Macpherson's was an active member of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria.
- Round card printed both sides in blue ink with dark blue ribbon attached.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||91 mm (Diameter)|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education|
|Themes this item is part of:||Hope Black nee Macpherson, Curator of Molluscs (1919 - ), Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten in black ink "Mrs Cluny Macpherson Presbyterian Church of Victoria."|
|User:||Jessie Macpherson, St Kilda, Victoria, Australia, 3 Mar 1958|
|Place & Date of Event:||St Kilda, Victoria, Australia, 3 Mar 1958|
This item is part of the following themes: