Search the collections
Photograph - Mawson Station, The Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE), Antarctic, circa 1955-1960 Reg. No: MM 123545
- Black and white image showing Mawson Station.It is situated on an isolated outcrop of rock on the coast in Mac Robertson Land, at the edge of the Antarctic plateau. Built in 1954 it is the longest continuously operating station south of the Antarctic Circle.
One of a set of 12 black and white photographs of the Antarctic taken mostly in the 1950s and 1960s showing images of icebergs, birds, people, landscapes, transport and the establishment of station camps. The images were taken by Phillip Law and others during expeditions to the Antarctic as part of the ANARE programs.
Following World War Two Australian interest in the Antarctic was revived. This saw the creation of the Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) in 1947 and the Antarctic Division in 1948 to administer ANARE and other Australian Antarctic activities. These two programs were managed by key figures in Australian Antarctic history including Sir Douglas Mawson and Sir Phillip Law.
Dr Phillip Garth Law - known as 'Mr Antarctica' - joined ANARE in 1947 and led Australia's Antarctic exploration for nearly twenty years. He was instrumental in the development of the Antarctic Division and the ANARE and led many Antarctic expeditions.
- Black and white silver gelatin photographic print on card.
- Description Of Content:
- A scenic view of Mawson Station in Antarctica, circa 1955-1960.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Dr Phillip Law, 1994
|Dimensions:||370 mm (Height), 502 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||antarctic expeditions, antarctic research, antarctic exploration, surveying, accommodation, antarctica, surveying instruments|
|Themes this item is part of:||Antarctica Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Hand written in black ink on the surface of the photograph; 'A.N.A.R.E. PHOTO BY G. JOHANSEN'
Stamped in black ink on the back of the photograph; 'Department of External Affairs / ANTARCTIC DIVISION / Photograph Number....[Hand written in black ink; '5408'] / Title....[Hand written in black ink in the title area; 'ANARE STATION - MAWSON] / Not to be reproduced without the / authority of the Antarctic Division.'
Stamped in black ink on the back of the photograph; 'ANARE PHOTO'
Hand written in black ink under the 'ANARE PHOTO' stamp; 'BY / G. JOHANSEN'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White; See Dimensions|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Mawson Station, Macrobertson Land, Australian Antarctic Territory, Antarctica, 1955 - 1960|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE), Australian Antarctic Territory, Antarctica, 1955-1960|
|Photographer:||G. Johansen - ANARE Photographer, Mawson Station, Macrobertson Land, Australian Antarctic Territory, Antarctica, 1955-1960|