Search the collections
Christmas Card - From the Brownings to Mr & Mrs Macpherson & Hope, circa 1940 Reg. No: HT 31460
- Folded greeting card for Christmas and New Year, printed with message, names of senders and one of George Browning's animal sketches.
Hope Macpherson was the first female curator at National Museum of Victoria (now Museum Victoria). Hope along with Isobel Bennett, Susan Ingham and Mary Gillham were the first women to visit the Antarctic in their December 1959 expedition.
- Blue folded card printed four colour on front, two colour inside.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Hope (Macpherson) Black Collection is a significant addition to Museum Victoria's working lives collection, it reveals the journey of a woman from depression era Melbourne and illustrates the power of education. It also reveals the often discriminatory policies in place in Victoria before the equal opportunity developments of the late 20th century. In balance though it also exposes the somewhat free expression possible for empowered women in this period. Hope Macpherson clearly states that in her day to day work she never felt discrimination and believes she was given great opportunity to pursue her career and aspirations. However, on analysis her role was often shaped by her gender and its perceived strengths and weaknesses; she was dissuaded from applying to become a taxidermist as it was 'an unsuitable job for a woman', although part of the first group of female scientists allowed to travel to Macquarie Island they were not permitted to camp on land with the male crew for fear of inciting passions. And finally after a distinguished career she was forced to resign her tenure as Australia's first female Curator when she married late in life, as a consequence of the Marriage bar.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), 2011
|Dimensions:||202 mm (Width), 127 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Two images - Length: 102; Width: 151|
|Tagged with:||museum history, education, christmas cards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MUSEUM HISTORY|
|Secondary Classification:||Working Life|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten on inside left in black ink: 'To Mr. & Mrs. Macpherson and Hope'|
|Addressed To:||Mrs Hope Black (nee Macpherson), Victoria, Australia, circa 1940|
|Addressed To:||Jessie Macpherson, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940|
|Addressed To:||Cluny Macpherson, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940|
|Sender:||Mr George Browning, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940
From the entire Browning Family, George & Joan, Jan, Felicity & Julian