Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Aerial View of Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, 1987 Reg. No: MM 128404
- Colour digital photograph of Newmarket Saleyards taken from the roof of the Kensington Housing Commission highrise flats, prior to its closure.
One of 360 photographs taken by Paul Bovolos in the last years of the Newmarket Saleyards, culminating with the last auction held in 1987. These photographs were taken by a number of Newmarket employees and were compiled into eight albums held at the Queen Victoria Market archives. Vince Crupi, who was employed by the City of Melbourne, compiled the albums into eight volumes. He also took some of the photographs contained in the albums. The eighth album has not been found. This image is located in Newmarket Album 2.
The collection documents the nature of working life, physical environment, operations and built structure of the Saleyards. The photographs provide an important visual record of the following areas: aerial views of the saleyards; night operations; construction and design of the stock yards, laneways and bluestone paving; proximity to housing and Melbourne's CBD; livestock auctions; maintenance; peppercorn trees; stock dogs; buildings on site; workers; sheep and cattle and the logistics of moving stock across the site.
- Digital image.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection is a rare visual document of the Newmarket Saleyards in the final few years leading up to and including the final stock auctions in 1987. The photographs provide insight into the day to day work, organisation and physical nature of the saleyard site, and its proximity to Melbourne suburbs and CBD. These images also help provide a context for interpreting a number of the artefacts in the Newmarket collection.
- Description Of Content:
- Rows of houses and cattle pens.
- Acquisition Information:
- Loan for Copying from Ms Jennifer Hibbs - Queen Victoria Market Pty Ltd, 2011
|Tagged with:||working life, livestock, agriculture, workers, working conditions, rural industry, photography, auctions, work, agricultural workers, auctioneers, sale yards, livestock sale yards, primary industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Newmarket Saleyards Photograph Collection, Newmarket Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Livestock Markets|
|Tertiary Classification:||aerial views|
|Format:||Digital Photograph: Colour|
|Organisation Named:||Queen Victoria Market Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1985
The original photo albums were kept at the Queen Victoria Market.
|Organisation Depicted:||Newmarket Saleyards, Kensington, Victoria, Australia, circa 1985|