Search the collections
Digital Photograph - View Across Burnt Paddocks, Happy Valley, North East Victoria, 8 Feb 2009 Reg. No: MM 127772
- One of a collection of 36 digital photographs taken by Robin McDonald on and near her beef property at Rosewhite, in Happy Valley, north east Victoria in February-July 2009.
Robin and her husband David, have been farming on this property since 1963, and were directly affected by the 2009 February bushfires which started in the early hours of Sunday 8th February 2009.
- Colour digital photograph
- Statement Of Significance:
- This collection of photographs contribute to understanding the experience of primary producers during the 2009 February bushfires. They particularly document the fires in north east Victoria, which were known as the Beechworth fires. These fires were responsible for the destruction of the greatest amount of public and private land in Victoria during the 2009 bushfires, and raise many issues and themes specific to the geographic nature of this area.
- Description Of Content:
- View across the McDonald's paddocks directly behind the house to the east. The fire has burnt the paddocks during the night. There were no fire units available to assist in defending this fire. David and Nigel used a ute with a spray unit on a trailer to fight this fire - the ute started to overheat and the spray was transferred to the tractor. The fire was put out four times but would start up again. Photograph shows the sunrise and cattle yards.
- Source: Museum Victoria; Photographer: Robin McDonald
|Tagged with:||agricultural equipment, agriculture, bushfires, emergency services, natural disasters, black saturday bushfires 2009, bushfire prevention|
|Themes this item is part of:||Sustainable Futures Collection, Victorian Bushfires Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Format:||Digital Still Image: Colour|
|Photographer:||Ms Robin McDonald, Rosewhite, Victoria, Australia, 2009|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Rosewhite, Victoria, Australia, 2009|