Search the collections
Photograph - North London Railway Company, Poplar Station Signal Box, London, England, 1906 Reg. No: MM 127776
- Black and white photograph of the Poplar Station Signal Box taken in 1906. Poplar station was operated by the North London Railway Company (1850-1922). This photograph belonged to Herbert Noltey (1888-1969) who worked for the NLR at Poplar (East India Road) Railway Station circa 1903-1904 before migrating to Melbourne, Australia. Poplar was the southern terminus of the NLR passenger service but goods trains ran through to the East India Docks. The area was heavily bombed during the Second World War and Poplar station was closed in 1944. It is now the site of the All Saints Docklands Light Railway Station.
- Black and white photographic print.
- Description Of Content:
- Interior of the signal box at Poplar station near East India Dock, London.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from A. Noltey, 1962
|Dimensions:||80 mm (Height), 100 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||migrants, railway companies, railway signalling, railway communications|
|Themes this item is part of:||Information & Communication Collection, Migration Collection, Trade Literature Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||RAIL TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Railway Signalling|
|Tertiary Classification:||(to be classified)|
|Inscriptions:||On back of photograph: 'Poplar Central Cabin 1906'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|User:||A. Noltey, North London, England, Great Britain, circa 1903-1910|
|Place Depicted:||London, England, Great Britain, 1906|