Search the collections
Booklet - H. V. McKay, 'A Self-Contained Australia', 1921 Reg. No: HT 31574
- Booklet titled 'A Self-Contained Australia' written by Hugh V. McKay C.B.E., reprinted from 'Australian Business', dated 1921.
The booklet discusses how prepared Australia needs to be in terms of being able to convert factories to munitions manufacture in case of war, making use of Australia's resources for production of goods and in encouraging immigration to build a population that can avert the 'danger of invasion' as well as expanding the taxpayer base.
This image is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia.
- 30 page booklet with light brown cover., two staples in the spine Dark blue printed text, stamped purple text and handwritten text on cover. Image of arrow pointing to an outline map of Australia in dark blue ink on the cover. Black ink stamp on first page. Extensive black printed text on white pages throughout.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Councillor Don McKay, 1960
|Dimensions:||185 mm (Height), 123 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, immigration, trade unions, politics, agriculture, industry, world war i 1914-1918, munitions|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, Migration Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Migrant Employees at Sunshine Harvester Works|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Cover, printed: ' A Self-Contained / Australia '
Cover, stamped: ' RETURN TO LIBRARY / ROOM 15 / HEAD OFFICE '
First page, stamped: ' INSTITUTE / OF / APPLIED [image of crown] SCIENCE / OF / VICTORIA '
Third page, printed: ' A Self-Contained / Australia / Reprinted from / "AUSTRALASIAN BUSINESS" / BY / HUGH V. MCKAY C.B.E. / SUNSHINE, VICTORIA / 1921 / MELBOURNE: / FARROW FALCON PRESS PTY. LTD. / 226-230 LITTLE LONSDALE ST. '
|Author:||Mr Hugh McKay, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, 1921|
|Publisher:||Farrow-Falcon Press Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1921|
|Organisation Depicted:||H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, 1921|
|Organisation Depicted:||Institute of Applied Science of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1921|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- Migration Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Migrant Employees at Sunshine Harvester Works