Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, Portrait of H.V. McKay, Victoria, 1924 Reg. No: MM 129622
- Portrait of Mr. H.V. McKay, taken 1924, two years before his death. McKay was the founder of H.V. McKay Pty Ltd - the Sunshine Harvester and Manufacturing Works.
This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company?s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
- Sepia toned photograph mounted on a brown board.
- Description Of Content:
- Seated portrait of H.V. McKay. He is wearing a suit and holding a newspaper.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Councillor Don McKay, 1960
|Dimensions:||224 mm (Height), 152 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||clothing, agriculture, portraits, photography|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Tertiary Classification:||company directors|
|Inscriptions:||Hand written in black ink on the board below the photograph; 'RUSKIN MELBOURNE'
Hand written in grey pencil on the back on the board; '1/1'
|People Depicted:||McKay, HV|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1924|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Hugh McKay, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1924|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection