Search the collections
Similar items over time
Photograph - H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, Portrait of N.I. Millikan, Victoria, circa 1920s Reg. No: MM 129624
- Portrait of Mr. N.I. Millikan of H.V. McKay Pty Ltd - the Sunshine Harvester and Manufacturing Works.
This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company?s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.
- Black and white silver gelatin photograph
- Description Of Content:
- Portrait of N.I. Millikan wearing a suit and tie.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Councillor Don McKay, 1960
|Dimensions:||347 mm (Height), 240 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||clothing, agriculture, portraits, men s clothing, photography|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Agricultural & Horticultural Equipment|
|Tertiary Classification:||workers' portraits|
|Inscriptions:||Hand written in blue pencil on the top right corner of the photographic paper; '5/2'
Hand written in grey in on the top right corner of the photographic paper; 'Series A'
Hand written in black ink on the bottom right corner of the photographic paper; 'To S[?]. McKay / Sincerely / N.I. Millikan'
|People Depicted:||Millikan, Mr N.I.|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1924|
|Organisation Named:||H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, circa 1920|
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Images & Image Making Collection
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection