Search the collections
Costume - Samuel Gorby, `The Mystery of A Hansom Cab', Burberry Entertainment, 2012 Reg. No: HT 32679
- Image courtesy of Burberry Entertainment / ABC / Film Victoria
Custom made late 19th Century style men's costume used in the production of `The Mystery of a Hansom Cab' telemovie, filmed in Melbourne in 2012 by local production company Burberry Entertainment.
It was worn by Australian actor Shane Jacobson, who played the role of Samuel Gorby, and designed by costume designer Wendy Cork, with costume supervisor Christiana Plitzco. The clothing was tailor made in Melbourne and the head wear was made in Sydney.
The film is based on the book of the same name, self published in 1886 by its author Fergus Hume. It was produced by Margot McDonald and directed by Shawn Seet, with executive producer Ewan Burnett.
Televised on the ABC in October 2012.
- The costume set consists of eleven pieces. Various combinations were worn to create several costumes.
The costume includes: brown wool check jacket; two waistcoats - one in a brown tweed and one in a brown wool check; two pairs of trousers - one in a brown wool check and one dark brown wool; white cotton dress shirt with removable collar and collar studs; yellow patterned cravat; dark grey bowler hat; and a pair of men's black leather boots.
- Statement Of Significance:
- `The Mystery of a Hansom Cab' collection, of which this object is a part, is an important addition to the current collection, as it succinctly documents one local television production, through artefacts and documentation. It represents the thousands of hours of television that have been filmed in Melbourne since its introduction in 1956. It is also a great representation of how the city's history has been portrayed on screen.
It represents literary Melbourne, as a screen adaptation of one of our most iconic and successful 19th Century books; a book which uses the city, its streets and its buildings as one of its characters.
The handmade costumes, the majority of which were made in Melbourne, represent the output of the city's bespoke tailors and clothing manufacturers, a small number which still exist today.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Burberry Entertainment, 2012
|Tagged with:||headwear, australian television industry, crime, performers, television production, literature, tailoring, television industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Clothing & Textiles Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Television Programming & Production|
|Designer:||Ms Wendy Cork, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 2011-2012|
|Maker:||Melbourne Tailoring Pty Ltd, Brunswick East, Victoria, Australia, 2011-2012
Maker of the outer components of the costume.
|Maker:||Phillips Shirts, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2011-2012
Maker of the shirt components of the costume.
|Maker:||Ms Rosie Boylan, Newtown, New South Wales, Australia, 2011-2012
Maker of the hat component of the costume.
|Made For:||Burberry Entertainment, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2011-2012|
|User:||Mr Shane Jacobson, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2012|