Search the collections
Similar items over time
Costume - Necklace, `The Mystery of A Hansom Cab', Burberry Entertainment, 2012 Reg. No: HT 32685
- Custom made costume necklace used in the production of `The Mystery of a Hansom Cab' telemovie, filmed in Melbourne in 2012 by local production company Burberry Entertainment.
It was designed and made by Melbourne jeweler Robert H. Parker & Sons, in a late nineteenth century style, and was worn by Australian actors Chelsie Preston Crayford, who played the role of Sal Rawlins and Anna McGahan who played the role of Rosanna Moore.
The film is based on the book of the same name, self published in 1886 by its author Fergus Hume. It was produced by Margot McDonald and directed by Shawn Seet, with executive producer Ewan Burnett.
Televised on the ABC in October 2012.
- Oval shaped opal in a gold metal setting, strung on a thin black velvet ribbon.
- Statement Of Significance:
- `The Mystery of a Hansom Cab' collection, of which this object is a part, is an important addition to the current collection, as it succinctly documents one local television production, through artefacts and documentation. It represents the thousands of hours of television that have been filmed in Melbourne since its introduction in 1956. It is also a great representation of how the city's history has been portrayed on screen.
It represents literary Melbourne, as a screen adaptation of one of our most iconic and successful 19th Century books; a book which uses the city, its streets and its buildings as one of its characters.
The handmade costumes, the majority of which were made in Melbourne, represent the output of the city's bespoke tailors and clothing manufacturers, a small number which still exist today.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Burberry Entertainment, 2012
|Dimensions:||35 mm (Height), 22 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Dimensions for pendant stone and setting only. Ribbon is 572 mm long.|
|Tagged with:||jewellery, australian television industry, crime, television production, literature, television industry|
|Themes this item is part of:||Clothing & Textiles Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Leisure Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Television Programming & Production|
|Maker:||Robert H. Parker & Sons, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2011-2012|
|Made For:||Burberry Entertainment, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2011-2012|
|User:||Ms Chelsie Preston Crayford, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2012|
|User:||Ms Anna McGahan, 2012|