Search the collections
Digital Photograph - Salvatore Mazzarino, Italian Army, circa 1943 Reg. No: MM 131378
- Sepia toned portrait photograph of a young Salvatore Mazzarino in Italian Army uniform taken while he was in military service during World War II.
Salvatore Mazzarino migrated to Melbourne from Vizzini, a rural town in Sicily, Italy in 1961. From a farming family he had served in the Italian army during World War II. He married Gesualda Ragusa in 1947 and they migrated with their two children [a third would be later born in Melbourne] on the Flotto Lauro line 'TN Roma' in 1961. They finally settled in St Albans, purchasing the neighbouring block to provide for a generous market garden. Salvatore worked as a blacksmith at the Newport rail yards until he retired around 1984, but his passion was his garden and he utilised his farm cultivation skills to growing a diverse array of fruit, vegetable, herbs and flowers. The produce was primarily for family consumption but Salvatore gave much away to family, friends and neighbours. In order to collect and store the produce, Salvatore made baskets from cane that he grew himself in his garden. The baskets are woven in a Sicilian style and he probably learned the skill from his father.
- Digital Image
- Statement Of Significance:
- This rich collection of hand-woven baskets, tools and photographs tells stories of migration, settlement on the outskirts of Melbourne, trade and industry, market gardening and traditional cultural practices through the baskets. This collection is particularly evocative because photographs document Salvatore Mazzarino at work in his market garden and with one of his hand-made baskets in use. It also enables the representation of disappearing male traditional cultural practices in the collection which is currently dominated by examples of women's creative cultural activities.
- Description Of Content:
- Bust portrait of young man in military uniform
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Marianna Rando, 2012
|Tagged with:||italian immigration, world war ii 1939-1945, war service, war portraits, military uniforms italian|
|Themes this item is part of:||Salvatore & Gesualda Mazzarino, Italian Migrants, 1961, Migration Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Brought Goods|
|Tertiary Classification:||family portraits|
|Person Depicted:||Mr Salvatore Mazzarino, Italy, circa 1943|
This item is part of the following themes: