Search the collections
Photograph - L. J. Sterne Doll Co., 'Australia's Finest Dolls', Melbourne, circa 1950 Reg. No: MM 132365
- Black and white photograph depicting seven female dolls on display. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Company (1939-1971), a Melbourne doll and toy manufacturer founded by Austrian migrants Leo and Hilda Sterne.
- Black and white gelatin silver print.
- Description Of Content:
- Seven female dolls, displayed in a staggered line and dressed in a range of different attire. The attire of the dolls ranges from bridal gowns to the traditional costumes from different countries.The dolls are numbered 1 to 7, however they are not numbered in order or appearance in the photograph. On the wall in the middle of the photograph is the logo of the L. J. Sterne Doll Company. Below the dolls is written 'Australia's finest dolls'.
|Dimensions:||212 mm (Width), 136 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||dolls, toys, weddings, displays, wedding costumes, childhood, scottish textiles, australian manufacturing industry, play, manufactured products, doll making, scottish cultural events|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Toys & Games|
|Tertiary Classification:||product displays|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on the front, in white ink: 'Australia's finest dolls'
Three stamps on the back in blue ink:
1. L. J. STERNE / DOLLS MANUFACTURERS / 14 HEDGELEY AVE.. E[illegible] VERN / PHONE U.L.2100. [illegible] / MELBOURNE (VIC.)
2. STERNE/ DOLL / MELBOURNE / MADE IN AUSTRALIA
3. If further copies of this Photograph / are wanted, please quote No. (hand written) 135-2 / JOHN SHINGLER, / Portrait & Commercial / Photographer / Phone UL 6278
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950|
|Manufacturer of Item Depicted:||L.J. Sterne Doll Co., Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950|