Search the collections
Photograph - L. J. Sterne Doll Co., Two L.J. Sterne Dolls on Display, Melbourne, circa 1950 Reg. No: MM 132367
- Black and white photograph of two L.J. Sterne dolls dressed in bridal gowns.
This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Company (1939-1971), a Melbourne doll and toy manufacturer founded by Austrian migrants Leo and Hilda Sterne.
- Black and white photograph.
- Description Of Content:
- Two dolls are displayed standing in bridal gowns and veils with outstretched arms. The doll on the left has dark coloured hair and is dressed in a short-sleeved full bridal gown with a flowing mid-length veil. This doll has the number 2 positioned in front of it and is smaller in size compared to the doll on the right. The doll on the right has blonde coloured hair and is dressed in a short-sleeved full bridal gown with a long flowing veil. This doll has the number 1 positioned in front of it. A piece of material has been used as a backdrop and the words 'Sterne Doll, Melbourne, Made In Australia' can be seen printed in the top left-hand corner of the photograph.
|Dimensions:||88 mm (Height), 134 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||dolls, children s play, toys, german communities, german immigration, manufacturing, commerce, toy design, manufacturers, retail displays, austrian immigration, play|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Toys & Games|
|Tertiary Classification:||product displays|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on back in red ink: 'L. J. STERNE / DOLLS MANUFACTURERS / 14 HEDGELEY AVE., EAST MALVERN / PHONE U.L. 2180. S.E. 5. / MELBOURNE (VIC.)'
Handwritten on back in blue ink: '9905 / 3 X 2 1/2 88 / DOLL NO 1 ONLY'
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950|
|Commissioned By:||L.J. Sterne Doll Co., East Malvern, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950|