Search the collections
Similar items over time
Booklet - 'Around the Old 'Yarra Grange' Homestead has Grown up the Great Seven-Acre Factory of Kodak (Australasia)', Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Sales Division, Abbotsford, Jan 1948 Reg. No: HT 33620
- Booklet - '...around the old "Yarra Grange" homestead has grown up the great seven-acre factory of Kodak (Australasia)', produced by Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd, Sales Division, January 1948, for the information of educating Kodak sales staff before they visited the Kodak factory at Abbotsford.
The booklet includes a list of the buildings and departments on the 7 acre site, as well as a ground plan, and other useful information. The site included the Registered Office of the Company, Offices of the Directors (other than the Sales Director), Manufacture of Sensitised Products, Engineering Department, Mount Department, Research Laboratory, Cine-Kodak Processing Station, Powder and Solution Department, and Medical Centre.
The booklet notes that the company employeed over 600 staff, managed by thirty or forty foremen and senior technicians, and that most of the factory operated under safelight conditions.
This item is part of a collection of research material and artefacts assembled by former Kodak Australasia employee Nigel Beale while he was writting Kodak's company history in the 1980's.
Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers, as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.This item is related to the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
- 40 page booklet, with cream card cover attached by two metal staples. Cover has blue printed text and illustration of the factory on the front and back. Glossy white pages inside the booklet have black and white photographs on some pages.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This item enhances our understanding of photographic manufacturing and retailing in Australia, and specifically traces the history of Kodak's beginnings in Australia at the Yarra Grange Abbotsford factory site, which preceded the Coburg factory site.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Barbara Beale, 2012
|Tagged with:||manufacturing, workers, factories, photography, training aids, making history - kodak collection|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Kodak Heritage Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Photographic Products|
|Tertiary Classification:||staff events|
|Issued By:||Kodak (Australasia) Pty. Ltd. Sales Division, Abbotsford, Victoria, Australia, Jan 1948|