Search the collections
Similar items over time
Extract of Death Entry - Florence Evelyn Gleeson, Daylesford, 1 May 1972 Reg. No: HT 34172
- State of Victoria Extract of Death Entry for Florence Evelyn Gleeson.
Florrie suffered serious burns, and spent a long period recovering from her injuries in St Vincents Hospital in Melbourne.
Although this certificate mentions Florrie?s three sisters, Rita was rescued by another relative and avoided the worst of flames.
- Blue paper document with printed text and typewritten entires.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This item is significant as part of a small collection documenting the aftermath of the brave actions of one young woman during the Powelltown Bush Fires, on Sunday 14th February, 1926. Trapped by the advancing flame, Florrie used her own body to shield two of her younger sisters from harm. Suffering horrific burns from the incident, she was taken to St Vincent's Hospital in Melbourne, where she spent many months recovering from her ordeal.
News of her bravery spread across Australia, through the press and on radio, and she was soon recognised as a local hero. This notoriety assisted in helping raise funds for her, through several charities set up for this purpose. This included the raising of 1,000 pounds by school children in Victoria and Western Australia, which was presented to her in the leather purse in this collection (HT 33731.) See Related Records.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Lynette Gleeson, 2013
|Dimensions:||203 mm (Height), 140 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||death mourning, bravery decorations, bushfires, certificates|
|Themes this item is part of:||Royal Humane Society of Australasia, Childhood & Youth Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Natural Disasters|
|Inscriptions:||Printed with typewritten entries: "STATE OF VICTORIA / EXTRACT OF DEATH ENTRY / Registration Number 9384 / 72 / Date of Death: 1st May, 1972 / Place of Death: Dayelsford, / Usual Residence: Bullarto, / Name: Florence Evelyn GLEESON / Occupation: Home Duties, / Sex amd age: Female, 61 years. / Issued at Melbourne / V.H. ARNOLD / Government Statist'. And futher text.|
|Presented To:||Royal Humane Society of Australasia, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 21 Jun 1926|
|Awarded To:||Ms Florence (Florrie) Hodges, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 21 Jun 1926|