Search the collections
Photograph - 'The Railway Stations Towers Illuminated', Melbourne, May 1901 Reg. No: MM 135087
- One of a set of 47 original photographs of the Australian Federation celebrations in Melbourne 1901 to mark the opening of the first Federal Parliament of Australia. The photographs trace the Royal Visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York for the occasion, from their arrival in Melbourne on the Royal Yacht 'Ophir' at St Kilda Pier on 6 May 1901 to their departure for Brisbane at Port Melbourne Railway Station on 19 May 1901. The photographs include scenes of the Federation Arches throughout Melbourne, Illuminated City Buildings,'The Opening of Parliament', 'German, Russian, Dutch and American cruisers at Port Melbourne', 'Royal Review at Flemington Racecourse', 'Royal Yacht Ophir and British War Ships', 'The Russian Cruiser Cromoboi...' and 'State School Fetes at the Exhibition Building'.
- black and white, silver gelatin, photograph mounted on grey card.
- Description Of Content:
- The Princes Bridge Railway Station and Flinders Street Railway Station towers built for the Federation celebrations, May 1901 shown illuminated at night.
|Dimensions:||235 mm (Height), 285 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Overall dimensions of the photograph only|
|Tagged with:||celebrations, flags, royal visits, architecture, australian federal parliament opening ceremony 1901, public ceremonies, towers, telegraph poles, retail trade, public events, street decorations, governments, advertisements, royal exhibition building history of events 1900-1949, cable tram tracks|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Royal Exhibition Building Collection|
|Primary Classification:||PUBLIC EVENTS|
|Tertiary Classification:||parades & street festivals|
|Inscriptions:||Printed in black ink below the photograph on the mount card: '46. - THE RAILWAY STATIONS TOWERS ILLUMINATED.'|
|Format:||Photograph: Black and White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, May 1901|