Search the collections
Letter - Esma Banner, Munich, 16 Jan 1946 Reg. No: HT 34879
- Letter written by Esma Banner, 16 January 1946 describing Wartenberg Sanitorium for displaced persons aged 7 to 18 years old in Regensdorf. She also writes about administration changes at UNRRA and socialising with co-workers, as well as her Christmas travels in Germany including a visit to Obersdorf.
Esma Banner worked in displaced persons' camps in the US Zone of Germany after World War II as an employment and welfare officer for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) and the International Refugee Organization (IRO), from 1945 to 1951. Esma was one of 39 Australians who went to Germany to assist with post-war repatriation and re-settlement of refugees displaced by the war. More than 1000 displaced persons' camps were established by the Allied Forces. Initially created as temporary processing centres, the camps became longer term sites of accommodation, employment, education and recreation for refugees who could not, or did not want to, be repatriated to their countries of origin.
- Six page double sided letter. Handwritten and partially typed on page 6. Pages 2 - 5 are stapled.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Helen Fitzgerald, 2012
|Dimensions:||197 mm (Height), 123 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||cultural identity, cultural traditions, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945, immigration, children, national identity, cultural maintenance, displaced persons, domestic life, travel, immigration policies, migration settlement, childhood, immigration selection, , women s travel, displaced persons camps|
|Themes this item is part of:||Esma Banner, UN Post World War II Refugee Worker 1945-51, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Esma Banner Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Displaced Persons Camps in Post-World War II Germany, United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) & International Refugee Organisation (IRO)|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Immigration Selection|
|Tertiary Classification:||refugee camps|
|Inscriptions:||First page: 'c/- UNRRA, Central / H.Q. for Germany / c/- B.A.O.R. Germany / Pasing - Munich / 16/1/46 / Dear All, [extensive text]'|
|Author:||Ms Esma Banner, Munich, Germany, 16 Jan 1946|
|Organisation Named:||United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA), Munich, Germany, 16 Jan 1946|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Esma Banner, UN Post World War II Refugee Worker 1945-51
- Childhood & Youth Collection
- Domestic & Community Life Collection
- Esma Banner Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Displaced Persons Camps in Post-World War II Germany
- United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) & International Refugee Organisation (IRO)