Search the collections
Letter - Esma Banner, Germany, 17 Feb 1946 Reg. No: HT 34880
- Letter written by Esma Banner, 17 February 1946, discussing co-workers at UNRRA who are also displaced persons, and socialising with these and other UNRRA employees. She also writes of skiing trips in Germany and her accomodation at the camps.
Esma Banner worked in displaced persons' camps in the US Zone of Germany after World War II as an employment and welfare officer for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) and the International Refugee Organization (IRO), from 1945 to 1951. Esma was one of 39 Australians who went to Germany to assist with post-war repatriation and re-settlement of refugees displaced by the war. More than 1000 displaced persons' camps were established by the Allied Forces. Initially created as temporary processing centres, the camps became longer term sites of accommodation, employment, education and recreation for refugees who could not, or did not want to, be repatriated to their countries of origin.
- 16 page handwritten single sided letter. Stapled in top left hand corner.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Helen Fitzgerald, 2012
|Dimensions:||210 mm (Height), 118 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||cultural identity, cultural traditions, wars conflicts, world war ii 1939-1945, immigration, skiing, cultural maintenance, displaced persons, domestic life, travel, immigration policies, migration settlement, accommodation, immigration selection, women s travel, displaced persons camps|
|Themes this item is part of:||Esma Banner, UN Post World War II Refugee Worker 1945-51, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Esma Banner Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Displaced Persons Camps in Post-World War II Germany, United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) & International Refugee Organisation (IRO)|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Immigration Selection|
|Tertiary Classification:||refugee camps|
|Inscriptions:||First page, pencil: 'Copied to P 27'
First page, black ink: 'Sunday, 17 February, / 1946. / Dear All / [extensive text] ... Heaps of love - Esma'.
|Author:||Ms Esma Banner, Munich, Germany, 17 Feb 1946|
|Organisation Named:||United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA), Munich, Germany, 17 Feb 1945|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Esma Banner, UN Post World War II Refugee Worker 1945-51
- Domestic & Community Life Collection
- Esma Banner Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Displaced Persons Camps in Post-World War II Germany
- United Nations Relief & Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) & International Refugee Organisation (IRO)