Where is it from?

Association locations map

Similar items over time

Window - Stained Glass, Ferguson & Urie, circa 1872 Object Reg. No: HT 521

Stained glass window made for 'Glenferrie', Malvern, the residence of James Fergusson, a Melbourne manufacturing stationer and member of the Legislative Assembly, and Shire President 1871-72.

'Glenferrie' was a two-storey mansion with fourteen rooms and extensive grounds. Its land extended from Glenferrie Rd and Toorak Rds to the far side of the railway line. In 1903 the estate was subdivided, and the house was called Zeerust by a subsequent owner.
The style of the window strongly indicates it was locally made by Ferguson & Urie, the main stained-glass manufacturers in Melbourne from the early 1860s to the 1890s. Following the demolition of Glenferrie in 1954, the window was purchased by a local resident, and subsequently installed in a modern home in the 1970s in Mernda Road, Kooyong.
A large leaded and stained glass window, 3.5 metres by 2 metres, attributed to Melbourne stained glass manufacturers Ferguson and Urie; dated c. 1872. Three tall panels, with three small panels above, which show a kangaroo and emu on either side of an early Australian coat of arms. Pride of place in the liddle window is given to the Fergusson Blazon of Arms, with three boars heads and a buckle. There are six hand-painted vignettes showing aspects of Victorian industry: shipping, farming, pastoral, printing, mining and railways. There are two female figures representing Agriculture and Commerce. Images of thistles, roses and the shamrock represent respectively Scotland, England and Ireland. All panels are bordered by a climbing floral pattern which is entwined around a gold covered rod.
Acquisition Information:
Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Richard Price, 2001
Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 334.00 cm (Height), 18.50 cm (Width), 191.00 cm (Length)

More information

Tagged with: printing industry, stained glass
Themes this item is part of: James Urie, Councillor, Borough of Flemington & Kensington (circa 1840s-?), Engineering Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection
Primary Classification: BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION
Secondary Classification: Windows
Tertiary Classification: stained glass
Inscriptions: 'Agriculture'; 'Farming'; 'Pastoral'; 'Mining'; 'Printing'; 'Commerce'; 'Shipping'; 'Railways';
Maker: Ferguson & Urie, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1872
Original Owner: Mr James Fergusson, Malvern, Victoria, Australia, 1872-1888
Place & Date Used: Malvern, Victoria, Australia, 1888-1954
Place & Date Used: Kooyong, Victoria, Australia, 1970s-2001
References: File correspondence in Supp. File suggests that the window may not be by Ferguson & Urie, but by someone who was influenced by their style.

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.

Similar items

Yes No