Search the collections
Ensemble - Prue Acton, `Barrier Reef Resort Wear', Printed Silk, 1986 Reg. No: SH 942075
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1986, from printed sik designed by textile artist Deborah Leser. The Great Barrier Reef range came in several different Leser fabrics, and was one of the best sellers the Company had. A jumpsuit made of a similar fabric is photographed in the American Department store Neiman Marcus's Autumn 1986 magazine NM, as part of a feature on their `Australian Fortnight' promotions.
- Three piece outfit of white silk printed with bold Barrier Reef fish motifs designed by Deborah Leser:
(1) Loose flowing overshirt with kimono style sleeves. Large shoulder pads.
(2) Bra top with appliqued fish across front. It is shapeless and is fastened at the back with 5 metal clasps.
(3) Rectangular piece of fabric with hemmed edges. Probably used as wrap-around skirt or sarong.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimension Comment:||.1 L = 97cm, .2 L = 79cm, .3 L = 186cm W = 113cm|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, women s clothing, making history - prue acton|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Inscriptions:||(1) Label sewn into center back under collar: 2
(2) Labels sewn into inner back lining: 2, 5, 11
|Artist:||Ms Deborah Leser, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, 1986|
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1986|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1986|
|References:||RMIT collection Refer photographic negatives in RMIT Collection.|