Search the collections
Evening Top & Pants - Prue Acton, `Broomstick', Pleated Silk, 1981 Reg. No: SH 942087
- This top and pants were designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1981. They were produced for overseas sale (Kanto, Japan, U.S.A.) The fabric was known as 'broomstick' design, produced by wrapping silk around broom handle and steaming.The fabric also came as a long-sleeved dress, a version of which was worn over pants in film 'Breakfast in Paris' (Australian/US production).
It was part of the range developed in conjunction with Prue Acton's 1980 Melbourne Cup outfit, with 'Byzantine' theme.
- This is a two piece pleated sik outfit:
(1) Champagne coloured top in roughly pleated silk, decorared with criss-crossed straps at shoulder. Ends of straps hang down and are weighted with brass and plastic beads. Top is loose and sleeveless and edges have a decorative trim.
(2) Champagne coloured straight legged pants with elasticised waistband. Fabric is shiny silk or polyester.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimension Comment:||Top 75 cms in length; Pants 105 cms in length.|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, women s clothing, making history - prue acton, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Labels on top: 5,11,12,28,30,31.
Handwritten label blue ink on white: 3329
Pink Prue Acton swing card detailing "Care of Garment" One side has printed specifications written in blue pen: style/ E3329/ 795E/ Top/ Size 8 (U.S.A.)/ Order/ sample/ colour/ champagne/ price/2 40
Labels on pants: 28,11,5,12, 32,31 and similar swing tag on pants. No price.
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1981|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1981|