Search the collections
Ensemble - Prue Acton, `Star Wars', Melbourne Cup, 1979 Reg. No: SH 942095
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1979. It was worn by the donor to the 1979 Melbourne Cup. The fabric was design by Deborag Leser to give the outfit a space age look. It featured innovative ski pants, and was worn with Maud Frizon shoes and a head piece designed by Marcus Davison in perspex and diamantes (not in Collection as at 13/12/95).
This was the first of Prue Acton's Melbourne Cup clothing which was specially designed for her to draw attention to Australian designers and in particular to her forthcoming winter range.
- Three piece white ensemble consisting of a jacket, shirt and pants:
(1) Padded jacket decorated with diamantes and printed prisms. The pink lining is also featured on the collar and front opening which is fastened by concealed zip. The cuff edges of the sleaves are also fastened by zips.
(2) Shirt with padded shoulders and pink silk collar and fastened with seven white plastic buttons at front and one at each cuff.
(3) White silk pants, waistband fastened with metal clasps. Elasticised stirrup at ankles and front zip fastening.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimension Comment:||Lengths: .1 - 77 cms; .2 - 76 cms; .3 - 108 cms|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, horse racing, melbourne cup racing carnival, women s clothing, making history - prue acton|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Labels on jacket: 28/ 11/ 23/ 40
Labels on shirt: 28/ 15/ 40/ 94/ 41
Labels on pants: 2/ 21/ 40/ 95
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1979|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1979|
|User:||Prue Acton, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1979|