Search the collections
Similar items over time
Ensemble - Prue Acton, `Titanium', Melbourne Cup, 1983 Reg. No: SH 942104
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1983. It was worn by the donor to the 1983 Melbourne Cup. A designer with the company, Maree Menzel, noted that the metal pieces on the jacket were meant to be on the sleeves not the fins, but a mistake was made in production. It was worn with a matching belt, shoes, hat and handbag in the Museum's collectio (SH 942105 - SH 942108) as well as a pair of 'Melbourne Cup' earrings. The outfit was based on a 'Spiral" theme, depicting time, and the stresses on fabric.
Prue Acton's Melbourne Cup clothing was specially designed for her to draw attention to Australian designers and in particular her forthcoming winter range.
- This is a three piece outfit in dark grey tinged with purple, consisting of a jacket, shirt and skirt:
(1) Jacket in heavy cotton trimmed with blue/purple titanium slivers. Hip-length and fitted, jacket has stiff 'fins' along sleeves, collar and lapel, which have lines of stitching as decoration. Garment has shoulder pads and is lined in dark grey fabric (silk or polyester)
(2) Collarless long-sleeved shirt in silk decorated with titanium slivers at neck and shoulders and printed brown splotches.
(3) Mid-calf length skirt in heavy cotton. Very full panelled A-line cut with waistband fastened at side with zip and metal hook.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimension Comment:||.1 L = 69 cm, .2 L = 67 cm, .3 L = 87 cm|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, horse racing, melbourne cup racing carnival, women s clothing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1983|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1983|
|User:||Prue Acton, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1983|