Search the collections
Ensemble - Prue Acton, `Dressmaker', Melbourne Cup, 1987 Reg. No: SH 942126
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1987. It was worn by Acton to the 1987 Melbourne Cup. It was worn with the leather bag and straw hat also in the Museum's collection. The theme was based on design of the Dressmaker Dummy, hourglass silhouette.
Prue Acton's Melbourne Cup clothing was specially designed for her to draw attention to Australian designers and in particular her forthcoming winter range.
- This is a two piece outfit in black linen, consisting of a jacket and skirt:
(1) Fitted 'redingote style' linen jacket in black with brown and gold stripes. Ornate gold Cornely embroidery follows the collar line and back of garment. The lining is cream polyester. The front is fastened with decorative fabric buttons. The shoulders are padded.
(2) Matching straight skirt lined with black polyester and slit at the back.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimensions:||107.00 cm (Height)|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, horse racing, melbourne cup racing carnival, women s clothing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Labels on jacket: 28/ 9/ 104/ 7
Labels on skirt: 28/ 9/ 104/ 7
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1987|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1987|
|User:||Prue Acton, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1987|
|References:||RMIT Collection Refer Photographs in RMIT Collection|