Search the collections
Similar items over time
Jacket & Skirt - Prue Acton, `Concorde', Melbourne Cup, 1984 Reg. No: SH 942111
- This outfit was designed and manufactured in Melbourne by Prue Acton P/L in 1984. It was worn by the donor to the 1984 Melbourne Cup. It was dubbed by one newspaper as the 'Concorde' look. Worn with matching hat, bag, gloves and belt in the Museum's collection (SH 942112 - SH 2115.) Based on a Cubist or Geometric design, inspired by New York architecture and Picasso.
Prue Acton's Melbourne Cup clothing was specially designed for her to draw attention to Australian designers and in particular her forthcoming winter range.
- Jacket and skirt ensemble in navy and white gro-grain panels. Most of navy is stitched with white lines, most of white is stitched with navy lines:
(1) Jacket of very strong geometric cut with wide double layered shoulders, and tapered at waist. Triangular lines at cuffs and lapels and at hem. Fastened by concealed press-studs at front. Lined in white polyester. Shoulders are stiffened by flexible stays.
(2) Mid-calf length straight skirt with kick flap at back. Fastened by zip and metal hooks at back. Lined in white polyester. Hanginging loops at waistband.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Prue Acton, 1994
|Dimension Comment:||.1 L = 64 cm, .2 L = 81 cm|
|Tagged with:||clothing, fashion, fashion design, fashion industry, horse racing, melbourne cup racing carnival, women s clothing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Prue Acton, Fashion Designer (1943- ), Clothing & Textiles Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Printed in black on hanging loops of skirt: Prue Acton|
|Manufacturer:||Prue Acton Pty. Ltd. (and/or Contractors), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1984|
|Designer:||Ms Prue Acton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1984|
|User:||Prue Acton, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1984|