Pair of Stirrups - Steel, Phar Lap Reg. No: SH 990722
- Pair of stirrups believed to have been used by jockeys riding the champion racehorse Phar Lap. It was retained by the family of his trainer Harry Telford, and was amongst a number of items donated to the museum by them in the 1990s.
- A pair of steel stirups, each consisting of a D shaped ring with an long oval loop at the top, which was originally attached to a leather strap. The bottom of the loop is flat and flares out to hold the rider's foot. The footrest has a long oval hole in the centre, around which are three scored rings.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mrs Nancy Telford, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||120 mm (Height), 110 mm (Width), 30 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||measurement of one stirrup|
|Tagged with:||animal husbandry, horse racing, horses, sport, racing industry, making history - phar lap|
|Themes this item is part of:||Phar Lap, Champion Race Horse (1926-1932), Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Phar Lap Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Horse Racing|
|Tertiary Classification:||horse tack|
|Inscriptions:||Inscribed into bottom of each stirrup: ALEX MORRISON MELBOURNE/ HANDFORGED SUPER(?) STEEL (both inscriptions are worn in places.)|
|Manufacturer:||Alex Morrison, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1928-1932|