Search the collections
Photograph - Phar Lap Winning Victoria Derby, Framed, 1929 Reg. No: SH 990796
- This framed photograph depicts Phar Lap winning the Victoria Derby at Flemington in 1929. It belonged to the family of his trainer Harry Telford family, and was amongst a number of items donated to the museum by them in the 1990s.
- Long rectangular black and white photograph of the finish of a horse racing, depicting a horse and jockey passing the winning post, followed by four other horses. The photograph is in a cream coloured cardboard mount, with details about the race hand written in black ink underneath. It is framed under glass in a black painted wooden frame, with two metal hanging loops attached to the back. The backing of the frame has been replaced.
- Description Of Content:
- Phar Lap winning the Victoria Derby at Flemington in 1929
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mrs Nancy Telford, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||325 mm (Height), 555 mm (Width), 20 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||horse racing, recreation|
|Themes this item is part of:||Phar Lap, Champion Race Horse (1926-1932), David Davis, Entrepreneur & Race Horse Owner, Harry Telford, Race Horse Owner & Trainer (1877-1960), Leisure Collection, Phar Lap Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Horse Racing|
|Tertiary Classification:||images (to be classified)|
|Original Caption:||Phar Lap wins Victoria Derby at Flemington|
|Inscriptions:||Handwritten on mount underneath photograph: Mr. H.R.Telford's "Phar-lap" ("Night-Raid" - "Entreaty")/ Wins Victoria Derby at Flemington 2/11/29 / Distance, 1 1/2 Miles Weight, 8-10 Time, 2-31 1/4 / Trainer, H.R. Telford Rider, J.E. Pike/ Sporting Photos/ 430 Bourke St Melb.|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Publisher:||Sporting Photos, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1929|