Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Commissioned By Mordialloc, Australia
Cap - Jockey, Telford Colours, Phar Lap, 1930s Reg. No: SH 990794
- The cap was made by Ballantynes for horse trainer Harry Telford, to compliment his racing colours of red, black and white. They were used by jockeys riding the champion race horse Phar Lap from his first race in 1929 until his last in late 1930, as in February 1931 Telford's lease of Phar Lap ran out. As his owner David Davis then sold a half share to Telford, Phar Lap was from then on run under the Davis/Telford partnership colours, which had red and green hoops on the sleeve and a black cap. These were also the colours used by Telford on subsequent horses he trained and owned.
- A round domed cap constructed from red silk, with a red silk covered stiffen brim at the front. On the top is a self covered button. At the front is an attached length of red ribbon which has been tied to form a bow. The inside is covered with a cream cotton material, at the top of which is sewn a white manufacturer's label.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mrs Nancy Telford, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||120 mm (Height), 200 mm (Width), 250 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||horse racing, recreation, racing industry, sport, sportswear, horses, headwear, making history - phar lap|
|Themes this item is part of:||Harry Telford, Race Horse Owner & Trainer (1877-1960), Phar Lap, Champion Race Horse (1926-1932), David Davis, Entrepreneur & Race Horse Owner, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Leisure Collection, Jim Pike, Jockey (1892-1969), Phar Lap Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Horse Racing|
|Tertiary Classification:||jockey uniforms|
|Inscriptions:||Printed on internal label: Ballantynes|
|Manufacturer:||Ballantynes, 1928 or later|
|Commissioned By:||Harry Telford, Mordialloc, Victoria, Australia, 1928 or later|
This item is part of the following themes: