Search the collections
Presentation Sash - VRC St. Leger, Phar Lap, Burgundy, 1930 Reg. No: SH 990799
- Alternative Name(s): Ribbon
Sash presented to champion race horse Phar Lap after winning the VRC St. Leger Stakes at Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne on the 1st March, 1930. It was retained by family of his trainer Harry Telford family, and was amongst a number of items donated to the museum by them in the 1990s.
- Presentation sash consisting of a long length of burgundy woven silk, doubled over to form a loop. Along the bottom edges are long pieces of gold metal fringing. The sash is treaded through a large rectangular sterling silver buckle, held in place by three prongs. Around the front edge of the buckle are large engraved letters.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Mrs Nancy Telford, 1999
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||155 mm (Width), 1710 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||length is measurement of ribbon folded in half|
|Tagged with:||awards, horse racing, recreation, horses, sport, racing industry, sashes, making history - phar lap|
|Themes this item is part of:||Harry Telford, Race Horse Owner & Trainer (1877-1960), Phar Lap, Champion Race Horse (1926-1932), David Davis, Entrepreneur & Race Horse Owner, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Leisure Collection, Phar Lap Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Horse Racing|
|Inscriptions:||Printed in gold vertically along front: V.R.C. ST. LEGER/ 1930
Engraved on front of buckle: ST. LEGER STAKES 1930/ FLEMINGTON
Stamped on back of buckle: ST SIL/ WM DRUMMOND & CO/ MELBOURNE
|Presented By:||Victorian Racing Club, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1930|
|Original Owner:||Harry Telford, Mordialloc, Victoria, Australia, 1930 or later|
This item is part of the following themes: