Search the collections
Saw Blade - Band Saw, circa 1970-1980 Reg. No: SH 912093
- Band Saw blade made circa 1970-1980. It was one of several band saw blades assembled into a series of loops that were hung on hooks on the wall in Area A at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Blade forms an open oval form comprised of a thin strip of metal with teeth on one edge. The saw teeth are small, pointed, close set and slant on an angle. The detachable blade was for use on the band saw machine.
|Dimensions:||1.20 cm (Width), 164.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||164 cm is the diameter.|
|Tagged with:||trades, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, woodworking, tools|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||machine tools|
|Date Manufactured:||circa 1970-1980|
|User:||Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970 - 1990|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970 - 1990|