Search the collections
Similar items over time
Architectural Model - Glass Terrace, Fitzroy, 1854-1956 Reg. No: SH 891638
- Model of Glass Terrace, Gertrude Street, Fitzroy, built 1854-56. Glass Terrace is a complex of eight, two-storey houses. It was built by the Irish born speculator/ pastoralist Hugh Glass in two stages: the first two houses are attributed to the architect David Ross, the remaining six to the architect Charles Webb.
The model was made by George Tibbits, from the Department of Architecture and Building, University of Melbourne, in 1989.
- Model depicts a complex of eight two-storey houses. They have ivory walls and green doors and windows. The two earliest houses were built in bluestone, the remaining six in brick. Metal hipped roofs; each house has one separate and one party chimney stack. Seven houses are identical; the eighth house is narrower. Front elevations: two French windows and one wooden front door on the ground floor; iron verandah painted in green and white/ivory stripes; two double windows on first floor. Front gardens above street level; incomplete fence with iron railing. Back garden shows kitchen/lean-to, and privies; brick fence.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr George Tibbits - University of Melbourne (The) Department of Architecture & Building, 1989
|Tagged with:||architectural models, architecture, housing, scale models, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||Glass Terrace, Fitzroy, 1854-1856, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION|
|Secondary Classification:||Architectural Design|
|Tertiary Classification:||model homes|
|Modelmaker:||Mr George Tibbits - University of Melbourne (The) Department of Architecture & Building, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1989|
|Date Made:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1989|
|Date Used:||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1989|