Search the collections
Prayer Book - Hungarian, Catholic, circa 1871 Reg. No: HT 516
- Hungarian, Catholic prayer book, printed circa 1871. It was brought to Australia by Margaret Szlavik when she immigrated with her family in 1957. The book has been passed down through three generations of Margaret's family, from grandmother, to mother to daughter. The inside back page lists the names and birth dates of Margaret's mother and her siblings.
Hungarian immigration to Australia peaked following the influx of displaced persons from Hungary after World War II, and the Australian Government's acceptance of around 14,000 Hungarian refugees who fled as a result of the Soviet repression of the Hungarian revolt in 1956.
- Leather bound prayer book with text in Hungarian. The front cover is embossed with a name and date.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The book represents a precious brought object, as prayer books are common keepsakes which are passed down through the female family line.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Margaret Szlavik, 2001
|Dimensions:||17.80 cm (Height), 3.00 cm (Width), 11.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||rituals, immigration, religions, prayers, brought goods, hungarian communities, hungarian immigration|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Brought Goods|
|Tertiary Classification:||religious materials|
|Inscriptions:||Front cover embossed: Kovacs Janos/1871.|
|Place Used:||Hungary, 1871-1957|
|User:||Mrs Margaret Szlavik, Australia, 1957|