Search the collections
Wafer Iron - Communion, Hungary, circa 1880s Reg. No: HT 499
- Wafer Iron used to make communion hosts for the Catholic Church in Kobulkut, Hungary. Ferenc Mitlik's father became a church warden in Kobulkut in 1919 and inherited this iron with the position. As soon as Ferenc became old enough it was his job to make the yearly supply of communion hosts for the catholic church, around November/December each year until 1955 when his father died. The iron was then stored in the attic of their home.
Ferenc left Hungary in 1945, and lived in Germany for five years before he immigrated to Australia in 1950. In 1979 Ferenc visited his birthplace and his mother presented him with the iron which he had cherished since his youth. He brought it back with him on his return to Australia.
- Metal Wafer Iron with long handles. The iron section is oval in shape. There is a metal clasp at the end of the handle to help press the iron flat. On the inside of the iron, patterns have been impressed into the metal.
One plate has two Y shaped markings. The other plate has a cross within a circle at the top, and the IHS symbol (a monogram which represents the Holy Name of Jesus, the letters IHS within a circle with a cross), at the bottom. On the left hand side of this plate is a picture of Christ on the cross, within a wreath of flowers on one side; and a sacred heart, (flaming heart shining with divine light, pierced by the lance-wound, surrounded by a crown of thorns, surmounted by a cross and bleeding) on the right hand side.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Ferenc Mitlik, 2001
|Dimensions:||79.00 cm (Height), 8.00 cm (Width), 18.00 cm (Length)|
|Weight:||3.82 kg (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||hungarian communities, hungarian immigration, immigration, religions, religions roman catholic, rituals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Brought Goods|
|Place Made:||Hungary, circa 1880s|
|Place Used:||Kobulkut, Hungary, circa 1880s-1950s|