Search the collections
Mortar & Pestle - Wedgwood, circa 1900 Reg. No: SH 850493
- Mortar and pestle used in a pharmacy at a mental health hospital in Victoria, Australia, circa 1900.
- Large pestle and mortar of white clay (china). Mortar is very thick-sided, hemi-spherical bowl on flat, round edged base 1.5cm thick. Lip is hollowed into wall of bowl from inside, only minutely bowing out on outside. Pestle has long wooden handle with rounded end and tapering slightly then flaring to join clay grinding head (appears to be screwed on).
- Statement Of Significance:
- Example of equipment used in pharmacy of mental health hospital in Victoria, Australia, circa 1900.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Office of Psychiatric Services
|Dimensions:||24.50 cm (Height), 4.50 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||hospitals, psychiatric services, making history - psych services|
|Themes this item is part of:||Psychiatric Institutions of the Past, Psychiatric Services Collection, Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Mental Health - Pharmacy|
|Inscriptions:||5/WARRANTED/ACID PROOF imprinted on base WEDGWOOD/T imprinted on side of pestle.|
|Manufacturer:||Wedgwood, England, Great Britain, circa 1900|
|Date Used:||Victoria, Australia, circa 1900|