Search the collections
Mandolin & Case - Giovanni Cera, Wood & Metal, 1946 Reg. No: SH 940594
- Mandolin made by Italian migrant Giovanni Cera during the 1930s, with timber from an old bass violin. Giovanni used to visit second-hand furniture depots or music stores to seek out the timber for his instruments. He also built guitars and zithers. Giovanni played this instrument at many special broadcasts for radio stations 3LO and 3AR, and appeared with Peter Piccini, Frank Zaetta, Giovanni's brother Guerino [Rino], Angelo Candela, Domenico Caffaro and Ezio Giannaccini at musicals events staged in town halls, theatres and restaurants from 1945 to 1975.
- Wooden case with metal clasps and lined with a dark brown fur on lid and a dark green fur on the bottom.
Wooden Mandolin, made of various salvaged timbers, eccentric body shape with arm extending up the neck of the mandolin to the head, ending in a florentine scroll. Eight machine heads for four courses of strings; oval sound hole with tortoise shell inlay. Neck has 24 frets with six inlaid mother of pearl finger spots, head stock has mother of pearl inlay.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Mario Costa, 1994
|Dimensions:||6.4 cm (Height), 2.4 cm (Width), 66.4 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Needs to be re-measured|
|Tagged with:||italian communities, italian immigration, musicians, stringed instruments, crafts, woodworking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Giovanni Cera, Italian Migrant, Mandolin Maker & Musician, 1924, Italian Historical Society CO.AS.IT. Collection, Cultural Diversity Collection, Information & Communication Collection, Migration Collection, Journeys of a Lifetime, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 1998-2015|
|Primary Classification:||CULTURAL IDENTITY|
|Secondary Classification:||Ethnicity - Creative Practice|
|Inscriptions:||Inlaid, mother-of-pearl on head: Cera
Signed, grey lead pencil inside body: Giovanni Cera, Melbourne 6.7.1946.
|Maker:||Mr Giovanni Cera, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 Jul 1946|
|User:||Mr Giovanni Cera, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1945-1975|
The following related photographs are held by the Italian Historical Society: P-01359; P-01370;
P-01384; P-01385; P-01389; P-02074; P-06055; P-06169
This item is part of the following themes: