Search the collections
Hand Drill - Wood & Painted Metal, circa 1930s-1980s Reg. No: SH 912281
- Hand drill made circa 1930s-1980s. It was found in Area E3 at Adolph Bruhn & Son's Wood Turners Shop, 283 Coventry Street, South Melbourne. The business was established by Adolph Bruhn circa 1893 in Little Collins Street, Melbourne. Upon his death in 1919 it was then operated by Adolph's son Sophus Christopher Bruhn. Upon Sophus's death in 1959 his son Sophus Walter Bruhn took over the business. In 1970 Sophus reduced the scale of the business and relocated to South Melbourne. The business closed upon Sophus's death in January 1990.
Adolph Bruhn migrated to Australia from Germany in 1884, at the age of 29. He arrived in Adelaide where he lived for 10 months before moving to Victoria, where he settled, established his business, married and had five children.
- Hand drill with wooden circular turned handle with two concave decorative cuts, and metal thread insert at narrow end. The Wheel Brace Shaft is black painted metal with a cog mechanism and wheel attached, and thread exterior. Handle screws out horizontally when attached to the wheel brace shaft. The Brace Chuck and Jaws Metal tapered cylinder with internal threaded hole, and spring loaded jaw attachments screws to end of shaft.
|Dimensions:||82 mm (Height), 140 mm (Width), 320 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, german communities, german immigration, woodturning industry, woodworking|
|Themes this item is part of:||Bruhn Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||hand tools|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s-1950s|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1960s|
|User:||Mr Sophus Bruhn - Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1970s-1980s|