Lantern Slide - Battleship, HIJMS Nagato, circa 1921 Image Reg. No: SH 881091

Summary:
Part of a collection of magic lantern slides relating to British naval history originating from the St John's Home for Boys. These slides were produced in Melbourne after the First World War with images from books and other sources. They are believed to have been used to illustrate lectures to the children in St John's Homes. Several of the slides are marked with the name 'Boreham'. This may indicate a link to Reverend Frank William Boreham (1871-1959), a noted Baptist writer and preacher who used lantern slides to illustrate talks in Melbourne and Tasmania however St John's was an Anglican institution.

Established as St John's Home for Boys in 1923, the home was located in Balwyn Road, Canterbury at 'Shrublands', a mansion formerly the property of investor & businessman John Hindson (1839-1919). His widow Alice Hindson (nee Henty) donated 'Shrublands' to the Anglican Church as a memorial to her husband and William, her late son, to be used as a home for "needy and destitute' boys on the condition it was named 'St John's'. It was officially opened on 22 November 1924 after extensive renovations to accomodate 30-40 boys, also paid for by Alice Hindson. There was a physical link with British naval history as Dame Nellie Melba donated a chapel lantern to St John's Home supposed to be one of those used by Admiral Lord Nelson in the cabin of his flagship HMS Victory. She also donated a cabin bell and wooden spars from HMS Victory. The latter were turned into candle holders.
Description:
Standard format black and white Lantern Slide with black binding tape.
Description Of Content:
Reproduction of a painting by Australian-born artist Arthur Burgess (1879-1957) of the Imperial Japanese Navy battleship 'HIJMS Nagato'. This image is probably taken from a British illustrated newspaper. The Nagato was the first battleship to be designed and built in Japan being commissioned in November 1920. Main armament consisted of eight 16.14-inch (410mm) guns in four turrets. Nagato and her sister ship HMIJS Mutsu were extensively modified before the World War II. From December 1941 Nagato took part in most of the major actions fought by the Imperial Japanese Navy and was damaged in October 1944 near the Philippines. Nagato was the only modern Japanese battleship to survive the war intact and was later sunk during the US nuclear bomb test Baker at Bikini Atoll in July 1946.
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Miss Appleby - St John's Homes for Boys & Girls, 1988
Discipline: History
Dimensions: 82.0 mm (Height), 82.0 mm (Width)

More information

Tagged with: wars conflicts, naval vessels, world war ii 1939-1945, lantern slides, community organisations services, children s homes, orphanages, battleships, nuclear weapons testing, nuclear energy
Themes this item is part of: St John's Home for Boys & Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection
Primary Classification: WATER TRANSPORT
Secondary Classification: Steam Power
Tertiary Classification: naval vessels - japanese
Inscriptions: 'Gunn, Lantern Slide Maker, 236 Little Collins St., Melb'
Format: Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)
Place & Date Used: St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia, circa 1921-1960
User of Item Depicted: Japan: Imperial Government, Japan, 1920-1945

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No