Search the collections
Similar items over time
Lantern Slide - Light Cruiser, HMS Arethusa, 1914-16 Reg. No: SH 881096
- Part of a collection of magic lantern slides relating to British naval history originating from the St John's Home for Boys & Girls in Canterbury in Melbourne. These slides were produced in Melbourne after the First World War with images from book and other sources. They are believed to have been used to illustrate lectures to the children in St John's Homes. Several of the slides are marked with the name 'Boreham'. This may indicate a link to Reverend Frank William Boreham (1871-1959), a noted Baptist writer and preacher who used lantern slides to illustrate talks in Melbourne and Tasmania however St John's was an Anglican institution.
Established as St John's Home for Boys in 1923, the home was located in Balwyn Road, Canterbury at 'Shrublands', a mansion formerly the property of investor & businessman John Hindson (1839-1919). His widow Alice Hindson (nee Henty) donated 'Shrublands' to the Anglican Church as a memorial to her husband and William, her late son, to be used as a home for "needy and destitute' boys on the condition it was named 'St John's'. It was officially opened on 22 November 1924 after extensive renovations to accomodate 30-40 boys, also paid for by Alice Hindson. There was a physical link with British naval history as Dame Nellie Melba donated a chapel lantern to the Home supposed to be one of those used by Admiral Lord Nelson in the cabin of his flagship HMS Victory. She also donated a cabin bell and wooden spars also from HMS Victory.
- Standard format black and white Lantern Slide with black binding tape.
- Description Of Content:
- HMS Arethusa was the lead ship of a new Arethusa class of eight light cruisers for the Royal Navy. Commissioned in August 1914, just as the First World War began. Arethusa was flagship of the Harwich Force and served with the Grand Fleet during the battles of Heligoland Bight and Dogger Bank. In February 1916 Arethusa was destroyed after striking a German mine in the English Channel and drifting ashore.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Miss Appleby - St John's Homes for Boys & Girls, 1988
|Dimensions:||82.0 mm (Height), 82.0 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, naval vessels, lantern slides, community organisations services, world war i 1914-1918, australian military forces, children s homes, orphanages, cruisers, warships|
|Themes this item is part of:||St John's Home for Boys & Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Steam Power|
|Tertiary Classification:||naval vessels - british|
|Inscriptions:||'7, NWSC Navy II, HMS Arethusa'|
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)|
|Place & Date Used:||St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia, circa 1921-1960|
|Ship Depicted:||Royal Navy, England, Great Britain, circa 1914|