Search the collections
Lantern Slide - Officers, HMS Hood, circa 1923 Reg. No: SH 881103
- Part of a collection of magic lantern slides relating to British naval history originating from the St John's Home for Boys. These slides were produced in Melbourne after the First World War with images from books and other sources. They are believed to have been used to illustrate lectures to the children in St John's Homes. Several of the slides are marked with the name 'Boreham'. This may indicate a link to Reverend Frank William Boreham (1871-1959), a noted Baptist writer and preacher who used lantern slides to illustrate talks in Melbourne and Tasmania however St John's was an Anglican institution.
Established as St John's Home for Boys in 1923, the home was located in Balwyn Road, Canterbury at 'Shrublands', a mansion formerly the property of investor & businessman John Hindson (1839-1919). His widow Alice Hindson (nee Henty) donated 'Shrublands' to the Anglican Church as a memorial to her husband and William, her late son, to be used as a home for "needy and destitute' boys on the condition it was named 'St John's'. It was officially opened on 22 November 1924 after extensive renovations to accomodate 30-40 boys, also paid for by Alice Hindson. There was a physical link with British naval history as Dame Nellie Melba donated a chapel lantern to St John's Home supposed to be one of those used by Admiral Lord Nelson in the cabin of his flagship HMS Victory. She also donated a cabin bell and wooden spars from HMS Victory. The latter were turned into candle holders.
- Standard format black and white Lantern Slide with black binding tape.
- Description Of Content:
- Group portrait of the officers on board the Royal Navy battlecruiser HMS Hood taken from a book or magazine. They are gathered in front of A turret with B turret and a range-finder seen behind. Following the Battle of Jutland in 1916, considerable extra armour was added to new capital ships under construction including Hood which was launched at the John Brown & Co. yard at Glasgow in August 1918. The four Brown-Curtis shaft-geared turbines used Michell thrust bearings, the invention of Melbourne engineer A.G.M. Michell. Following completion in 1920, Hood was the largest warship of the Royal Navy and completed a world cruise in 1924 with the Special Service Squadron during which she visited Australia including a stop at Melbourne in March 1924. During the World War II Hood served with the Home Fleet and took part in the hunt for the German battleship Bismarck in May 1941. On 25 May 1941 Hood was hit by shells from Bismarck and her escort the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen and blew up leaving just three survivors of her 1418 crew. A number of Australians serving on Hood at this time were lost including RAN Ordinary Seaman Ian Startup of Williamstown in Melbourne, John Shannon, George Hall and David Hall.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Miss Appleby - St John's Homes for Boys & Girls, 1988
|Dimensions:||82.0 mm (Height), 82.0 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, naval vessels, world war ii 1939-1945, lantern slides, community organisations services, australian military forces, children s homes, orphanages|
|Themes this item is part of:||St John's Home for Boys & Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Shipboard Life - Navy|
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)|
|Place & Date Used:||St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia, circa 1924-1940|