Search the collections
Lantern Slide - Submarine, HMS K-26, circa 1925 Reg. No: SH 881042
- Part of a collection of magic lantern slides relating to British naval history originating from the St John's Home for Boys. These slides were produced in Melbourne after the First World War with images from books and other sources. They are believed to have been used to illustrate lectures to the children in St John's Homes. Several of the slides are marked with the name 'Boreham'. This may indicate a link to Reverend Frank William Boreham (1871-1959), a noted Baptist writer and preacher who used lantern slides to illustrate talks in Melbourne and Tasmania however St John's was an Anglican institution.
Established as St John's Home for Boys in 1923, the home was located in Balwyn Road, Canterbury at 'Shrublands', a mansion formerly the property of investor & businessman John Hindson (1839-1919). His widow Alice Hindson (nee Henty) donated 'Shrublands' to the Anglican Church as a memorial to her husband and William, her late son, to be used as a home for "needy and destitute' boys on the condition it was named 'St John's'. It was officially opened on 22 November 1924 after extensive renovations to accomodate 30-40 boys, also paid for by Alice Hindson. There was a physical link with British naval history as Dame Nellie Melba donated a chapel lantern to St John's Home supposed to be one of those used by Admiral Lord Nelson in the cabin of his flagship HMS Victory. She also donated a cabin bell and wooden spars from HMS Victory. The latter were turned into candle holders.
- Standard format black and white Lantern Slide with black binding tape.
- Description Of Content:
- The K class submarine was a steam powered vessel which became notorious as one of the most dangerous submarines ever built. Surface power was provided by oil fired steam turbine engines and underwater power was by electric motor charged with a diesel generator. K-26 was a modified version of the standard K-class of which 17 were built during World War One. K-26 entered service in 1923 but was scrapped in 1931.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Miss Appleby - St John's Homes for Boys & Girls, 1988
|Dimensions:||82.0 mm (Height), 83.0 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||submarines, sailing vessels, lantern slides, world war i 1914-1918, steam ships, steam power|
|Themes this item is part of:||St John's Home for Boys & Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Arms Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Steam Power|
|Tertiary Classification:||naval vessels - british|
|Model Name/Number:||K class|
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)|
|User of Item Depicted:||Royal Navy, England, Great Britain, 1923-1931|
|Place & Date Used:||St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia, 1924-1940|
This item is part of the following themes: