Search the collections
Lantern Slide - Illustration of Harbour Channel, Zeebrugge, circa 1924 Reg. No: SH 881033
- Part of a collection of magic lantern slides relating to British naval history originating from the St John's Home for Boys. These slides were produced in Melbourne after the First World War with images from books and other sources. They are believed to have been used to illustrate lectures to the children in St John's Homes. Several of the slides are marked with the name 'Boreham'. This may indicate a link to Reverend Frank William Boreham (1871-1959), a noted Baptist writer and preacher who used lantern slides to illustrate talks in Melbourne and Tasmania however St John's was an Anglican institution.
Established as St John's Home for Boys in 1923, the home was located in Balwyn Road, Canterbury at 'Shrublands', a mansion formerly the property of investor & businessman John Hindson (1839-1919). His widow Alice Hindson (nee Henty) donated 'Shrublands' to the Anglican Church as a memorial to her husband and William, her late son, to be used as a home for "needy and destitute' boys on the condition it was named 'St John's'. It was officially opened on 22 November 1924 after extensive renovations to accomodate 30-40 boys, also paid for by Alice Hindson. There was a physical link with British naval history as Dame Nellie Melba donated a chapel lantern to St John's Home supposed to be one of those used by Admiral Lord Nelson in the cabin of his flagship HMS Victory. She also donated a cabin bell and wooden spars from HMS Victory. The latter were turned into candle holders.
- Standard format black and white Lantern Slide with black binding tape.
- Description Of Content:
- An drawing probably taken from an illustrated book or magazone showing the channel from Bruges to Zeebrugge harbour after the Royal Navy raid on 23 April 1918. The old cruisers HM Ships Iphigenia, Intrepid and Thetis were sunk in the channel mouth to block entry and exit but the raid was only partly effective as the Germans were still able to move submarines and smaller vessels up and down the channel to Bruges.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Miss Appleby - St John's Homes for Boys & Girls, 1988
|Dimensions:||82.0 mm (Height), 83.0 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, lantern slides, community organisations services, world war i 1914-1918, children s homes, orphanages, naval battles|
|Themes this item is part of:||St John's Home for Boys & Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Ports & Harbours|
|Tertiary Classification:||aerial views|
|Inscriptions:||'51, Makers Newton & Co., 37 King St'|
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)|
|Manufacturer:||Newton & Co, London, Victoria, Australia, circa 1924|
|User:||St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia, 1924-1940|