Search the collections
Lantern Slide - Map, Rufigi River Delta, German East Africa, circa 1924 Reg. No: SH 881036
- Part of a collection of magic lantern slides relating to British naval history originating from the St John's Home for Boys. These slides were produced in Melbourne after the First World War with images from books and other sources. They are believed to have been used to illustrate lectures to the children in St John's Homes. Several of the slides are marked with the name 'Boreham'. This may indicate a link to Reverend Frank William Boreham (1871-1959), a noted Baptist writer and preacher who used lantern slides to illustrate talks in Melbourne and Tasmania however St John's was an Anglican institution.
Established as St John's Home for Boys in 1923, the home was located in Balwyn Road, Canterbury at 'Shrublands', a mansion formerly the property of investor & businessman John Hindson (1839-1919). His widow Alice Hindson (nee Henty) donated 'Shrublands' to the Anglican Church as a memorial to her husband and William, her late son, to be used as a home for "needy and destitute' boys on the condition it was named 'St John's'. It was officially opened on 22 November 1924 after extensive renovations to accomodate 30-40 boys, also paid for by Alice Hindson. There was a physical link with British naval history as Dame Nellie Melba donated a chapel lantern to St John's Home supposed to be one of those used by Admiral Lord Nelson in the cabin of his flagship HMS Victory. She also donated a cabin bell and wooden spars from HMS Victory. The latter were turned into candle holders.
- Standard format black and white Lantern Slide with black binding tape.
- Description Of Content:
- The German navy light cruiser SMS Konigsberg took refuge in the Rufigi river delta in late 1914 after commerce raiding in the Indian Ocean following the start of World War One. The ship was eventually destroyed by Royal Navy ship's gunfire directed by aircraft based on Mafia Island. The Royal Australian Navy cruiser HMAS Pioneer took part in the blockade of the German East Africa in 1915-16.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Miss Appleby - St John's Homes for Boys & Girls, 1988
|Dimensions:||82.0 mm (Height), 83.0 mm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||wars conflicts, lantern slides, community organisations services, world war i 1914-1918, children s homes, orphanages, naval battles|
|Themes this item is part of:||St John's Home for Boys & Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Ports & Harbours|
|Inscriptions:||'33, Makers Newton & Co 37 King St, Covent Garden, London, NWSC Navy, Map of the Delta'|
|Format:||Lantern Slide: Black & White; Standard (3¼ in. x 3¼ in.)|
|Manufacturer:||Newton & Co, London, England, Great Britain, circa 1924|
|Place & Date Used:||St John's Home for Boys and Girls, Canterbury, Victoria, Australia, 1924-1940|