Search the collections
Handbag - Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Black Calf, circa 1950s Reg. No: SH 890946
- Black calf handbag manufactured by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, circa 1950s. It was found in the storeroom behind the salesman's office.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Black calf handbag, two short handles, elliptical silver catch. Frame covered with leather. Lining black moire, two pockets, one containing black leather coin purse. Tag attached to handle.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||11.00 cm (Height), 18.00 cm (Width), 20.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, glovemaking, leatherworking, clothing accessories, handbags|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||On tag on front: '(logo) / Sample No ... / AS 7379 / Navy (crossed out) Blk / Calf'
On tag on back: 'Special 502 / 35/-'
|Manufacturer (Probable):||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection