Search the collections
Handbag - Black Calf, circa 1950-1960 Reg. No: SH 890125
- Sample ladies black calf handbag made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, circa 1950-1960. It was found in the handbag salesman's showroom.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Ladies' black calf handbag with strap and gold trim. Tab on front. Lined with black poplin moire and contains: black leather purse, bevelled mirror.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||24.00 cm (Height), 18.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, glovemaking, leatherworking, handbags|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||sample products|
|Inscriptions:||Label attached to handle reads '7828/198 / Bl. Calf / 40/3'|
|Place & Date Made:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950-1960|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection