Search the collections
Shoe Uppers - Brown Leather, 1933 Reg. No: SH 890967
- Samples of leather shoe uppers made in Stafford, England, 1933. Used at Simpson's Glove Pty Ltd and found in box in a shed above the air raid shelter. Amos Simpson had fiends in the boot trade, he attempted to assemble shoes but did not go into full manufacture.
Simpson's Gloves was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.
- Leather uppers, six pairs. Punched decoration, designed to lace across the top. Set 66' / Style 5511 Fancy laced Ghillie Sandal / out of beige goat. / Heel 1 7/8" covered, Pairs 6 Size 4. Tied together.
- Acquisition Information:
- Tax Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
- Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
|Dimensions:||0.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||trades, working life, glovemaking, shoes, product samples|
|Themes this item is part of:||Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953), Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988, Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory, Simpson's Gloves Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MANUFACTURING & INDUSTRY|
|Secondary Classification:||Clothing Accessories|
|Tertiary Classification:||materials samples|
|Place & Date Made:||Stafford, Staffordshire, England, Great Britain, 1933|
|Place & Date Used:||Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond North, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930s-1980s|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Amos Griffiths Simpson, Glove Manufacturer (1878-1953)
- Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, 1924-1988
- Production Processes at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Working Life at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Workers at Simpson's Gloves Factory
- Simpson's Gloves Collection
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection