Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufactured For Melbourne, Australia
Ceremonial Collar - Hibernian Australasian Catholic Benefit Society, Green Velvet, post 1870 Reg. No: SH 960082
- Alternative Name(s): Regalia
Sash from the Hibernian Australasian Catholic Benefit Society. The Hibernian Australasian Catholic Benefit Society was established in Victoria in the late 1860s to assist Irish Catholics with funeral and sickness benefits, there were also branches in other states.
- A broad double collar made of velvet with gold bullion fringe and embroidery. The main motif shows a Celtic cross with harp, obelisk, tree and animal passant at left, with shield, rising sun, emu and kangaroo at right. These elements are worked in gold bullion, yellow, green, blue, white, red and brown embroidery threads. An applied red ribbon is below the cross, the words FAITH HOPE CHARITY are worked in narrow bullion and the ribbon is edged with gold spiralling metal. Gold bullion and similar metal spirals are used to work shamrocks below the ribbon and radiating lines behind the cross. At top of the design the letters H.A. C. B. S. are worked in thick gold bullion. The letters PGP are worked at upper left of chest area, with VIC worked on the right.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Independent Order of Oddfellows, 1996
|Dimensions:||56.00 cm (Height), 22.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||ceremonial costumes, friendly societies, collars, irish communities, irish culture, irish history, irish immigration, religions roman catholic, what does pgp stand for, brother james john flaherty|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Identity: Yours, Mine, Ours, Immigration Museum Exhibition, 2011-2021, Hibernian Australian Catholic Benefit Society|
|Inscriptions:||H.A.C.B.S./ PGP/ VIC/ FAITH HOPE CHARITY Regalia Supplies MELBOURNE|
|Manufactured For:||Hibernian Australasian Catholic Benefit Society, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, post 1870|
|Place & Date Used:||Victoria, Australia, post 1870|