Search the collections
Boots - Tricouni Brevete, Phillip Law, 1962-1966 Reg. No: SH 930784
- Red/brown suede leather British Army boots worn by Dr Phillip Law predominantly at Heard Island and Macquarie Island, but also in summer for coastal work in Antarctic parts by parties during expedition forays between 1962-1966.
Part of Museum Victoria's collection of artefacts from the post-war era of scientific exploration of Antarctica.
- These boots have a thick leather sole that has a smaller ridge rubber sole placed in the middle of it. This rubber sole is kept in place by small pieces of metal. Around the perimeter of the sole are small metal teeth. There are 19 on each boot. The upper section of the shoe comprises reddish/brown suede and leather. It is a lace up boot. Inside there is a plastic mesh lining.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Dr Phillip Law - Australian Antarctic Division Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition, 1993
|Dimensions:||20.50 cm (Height), 32.50 cm (Width), 12.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||antarctic exploration, arctic exploration, footwear|
|Themes this item is part of:||Antarctic Clothing, Dr Phillip Law, Scientist, Explorer & Administrator (1912-2010), Antarctica Collection, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Ship History - HMAS Wyatt Earp|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on the base of each boot: TRICOUNI/BREVETE/[LOGO] Stamped on each metal tooth: TRICOUNI/BREV. [LOGO]/6.15 SUISSE "|
|Date Used:||Antarctica, 1962-1966
His previous pair of boots were worn out (5 years). They were first used from 1950-today, with heavy wool socks.
|Manufacturer:||Itshide, England, Great Britain|
|User:||Dr Phillip Law - Australian Antarctic Division Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition, Antarctica, 1962-1966|