Search the collections
Flag - Turner's Flag, Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, 1900 -1964 Reg. No: SH 900070
- Red traffic control flag. Used at Newmarket Saleyards up to the building of the bridge (over-pass) in 1964 which linked the rail trucks directly across to Newmarket.
During the peak seasonal periods huge numbers of stock were moved to, from and around the Newmarket Saleyards. Even up until the late 1950s stock going to and from the markets was moved through the streets of Melbourne, and particularly Newmarket. Sheep, cattle and, in the earlier days, pigs were driven to Newmarket down main traffic roads; from railway sidings to the saleyards; through drafting, receiving, penning and selling yards; from the saleyards to the adjoining abattoirs. Prior to the construction of the McLennan Bridge over Racecourse Road in 1964 to facilitate the movement of stock, cattle and sheep were herded directly into yards from the Newmarket rail siding along Newmarket Street, Ascot Vale Road. Red and green ?Turner's Flags? were used to control traffic when stock was crossing the roads; while dogs, horses, yarding sticks and rattlers were used to move the stock along.
- Red cotton fabric is machine stitched around edges and secured around timber dowel/rod with staples. Fabric for flag appears to have been acquired for this purpose. Evidence of water stains/marks.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from State Government of Victoria Major Projects Unit, 1990
|Dimensions:||67.00 cm (Height), 2.50 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||livestock, flags, rural industry, livestock sale yards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Stock Route at the Newmarket Saleyards, Joe Raymer's Memories of Droving at the Newmarket Saleyards, 1940-1963, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, Glossary of the Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Traffic Management & Safety|
|Place Used:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, 1900 -1964|
|Creator:||Newmarket Saleyards, Newmarket, Victoria, Australia, 1900-1964|
This item is part of the following themes: